Stupid Google

So, here's the problem: whenever you google my real name, in quotes, google dishes up a link to the following spot in blogstroms:

http://blogstroms.blogspot.com/2006/02/all-done.html

If any of you bother to follow the link, you'll see I removed my name from it a while ago, but stupid Google isn't picking up on that fact. Hence this post: next time Google indexes the Blogstroms, it ought to follow the link above, and hopefully that'll fix things.

Meantime, I'm worried about my anonymity being compromised...

Stupid Google.

Comments

Oldman said…
Lets dump the page? The link will go nowhere?
Ursula said…
Well, I added a tag to our blog which will keep Google from caching the site, and used one of the tools they have available to remove that particular page from their index. The info I got back said it might take as much as five days for the changs to take effect. I note that, already, that page has been pulled from their cache--but it still turns up under a search for my name, and it shows a few lines of the old text aong with the hit!

The problem is, even if we pulled that particular page, if Google keeps returning some old information about it in response to a search on my name, a clever and curious person would see the address and visit the main Blogsroms page. And if a person were already searching for my real name, Alusru is close enough to give the thing away!

I wouldn't worry so, but I do know how very curious students get about their instructors; hell, I've googled most of mine at one time or another. It does no good to insist that one is a regular old boring person. The power and authority ascribed to the instructor are like a magic aura--and an invitaton for prying!