Chicago Sucks! (Again)

Date: August 30, 2007
Time: 22:15 (Central)
Place: Chicago, IL, U.S.A
More specific place: 61st street and Ingleside

I'm walking down the street on the way to my car which is parked around the corner. I had purchased some shoes earlier, and was walking with the shoe bag, my purse and my hopes and dreams. As I start walking down 61st there's a group of young men walking across both the eastbound and westbound lanes. Most of the kids look to be 13-15 with a few older teens. All in all there are about 15 of them.

A car tries driving through. The teens mock, taunt and holla. Suddenly they notice me. Here's what happened.

young man1: we should jack that lady. She'd be easy. She's got something with her. Real easy. She ain't even got anyone with her.

young man2: yeah man. We should jack her. She's real easy. Come on. Let's do it.

young man 1&2 then start trying to get the other young men in their entourage to come around to their thinking. There is more talk about how easy a mark I am and that yes, indeed perhaps we should jack her. Of course while this is going on I have some thoughts going on in my head as well.

spinster: holyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshit. I'm going to get jacked. Why? Why would they jack me? I don't have anything. Holyshitholyshitholyshitholyshitholyshit. I should go back to the house, but I don't have my keys readily available. Holyshitholyshitholyshitholyshit. I'll hit redial on the phone and KSB can at least hear that I'm being jacked and call for help. Just as this going through my mind one of the older boys speaks up.

older man: Naw man. that ain't what we do.

or I misunderstood and he said

older man: Naw man. She only gots shoes.

Comments

Ursula said…
HOLY SHIT! From now on, Kian or I will be walking you to your car in the evening! No jacking will be going down!
blogmother said…
holyshitholyshitholyshitholyshit! Is THAT why you were running after us, and waving your arms :)
No, that was the day before. This happened Thursday. It does kind of fit into the foreshadowing thing I've got going on though.