A rare moment of political joy, and Ron Paul

It is so sad that these days the only moments of political joy are to be found in Schadenfreude.

Anyone else read the NY Times article on Ron Paul? In 1988 when he was at our house, I asked him what his definition of government was. His deflecting, politician's response: to quote Thomas Jefferson, "That government is best that governs least." Sure, I was a twelve-year old kid who couldn't vote for him, and maybe I wouldn't have been able to follow a detailed position paper on small government idealism, but even I understood that he was blowing me off there. Thinking back, it was Paul's soundbyte reply to me that started me thinking: if the Libertarian candidate for President can't even tell me what government is, why should I take seriously Libertarian arguments for limiting its size?

Comments

blogmother said…
I also read it, and am almost embarrassed that he came to our house.
His first comment to me was that I had done a great job of washing the window of our front door. I actually hadn't washed it in months, which caused me to think that either he thinks most women love to show off their housekeeping skills or that he was making fun of mine.
I couldn't wait for him to leave.