Good times

So I took advantage of the slow time at work and took a few days to go back home to NYC. Usually when I go home I eat all my comfort foods. I go to the pizzeria that I've been going to for at least 20 years. The price of a slice is still $1.50 (.25 more for pepperoni). This time I had some bigger places to go to. I went to Daniel one night and Aureole the next. Both were absolutely awesome! I had the 3 course at Daniel. Everything was perfect. Not a lot of fancy schmancy crap on the plate. Just simple food done to perfection. No, that doesn't describe it. What's better than perfection? I don't know, but that's whhat the meal was. Of course being a cheese whore I added a cheese course too. Gorgeous cheese. I was able to go into the kitchen and see the chef's table they have called the skybox. It seats 4 and costs $250 a head. Daniel also happened to be in house that night and he came over and chatted us up. My Nana speaks French, so they ended up chatting for quite a while while I sat there trying (semi-successfully) not to gawk.

Aureole was also superb. I had the tasting menu with wine pairing. They realy don't skimp on the wine either. Almost full glasses with each of the 7 courses. Their cheese selection was lacking, but everything else was great. Once again I was able to go into the kitchen and chat it up with the cooks. For the amount of food, and the quality of said food the line is tiny. Charlie wasn't there, but I got to meet the chef de cuisine, the sous and the cookies.

Dinner at both places was way more money than I can afford, but what the hell. You only go around once right? The rest of my time back home was eating my normal stuff. Jerk chicken, curried goat and rice and peas. One of the best meals I've ever had, but to be honest, going back home and having my regular food selections was just as pleasing. If you get out to NYC and have a few hundred, go to Daniel. If you find yourself flush with cash, (or willing to pay rent almost a month late like I'm doing) do both. Screw it. Do Daniel twice, and save some money by going to Aureole for lunch.

Comments

Oldman said…
Did you know that the kitchen at Daniel is almost twice the size of our house?
blogmother said…
You treated the old woman? - WOW! What a WONDERFUL, thoughtful, terrific, caring, and beautiful Bundis you are!